Settings

Home Site
Notification
Push Notifications
Contact Us
Lyndhurst Daily Voice serves Lyndhurst, North Arlington & Wallington

Menu

Lyndhurst Daily Voice serves Lyndhurst, North Arlington & Wallington

Nearby Towns

DV Pilot police & fire

Faulty Dentist's Appliance Sparked Fire That Destroyed Lyndhurst Building

As Saturday's demolition began.
As Saturday's demolition began. Photo Credit: Mary Pitera
Demolished
Demolished Photo Credit: Lisa O'Brien
At the scene Saturday.
At the scene Saturday. Photo Credit: Mary Pitera
"It's an old building with several ceilings," the fire chief said. "It spread instantly. We had no chance."
"It's an old building with several ceilings," the fire chief said. "It spread instantly. We had no chance." Photo Credit: Mary Pitera
Firefighters continued to douse the flames after the fire was extinguished.
Firefighters continued to douse the flames after the fire was extinguished. Photo Credit: Anthony Locicero

LYNDHURST, N.J. -- A faulty electrical appliance in a dentist's office closed for Good Friday sparked a fire that consumed a multi-use Lyndhurst building, Fire Chief Paul Haggerty told Daily Voice.

The Stuyvesant Avenue building, which also housed two apartments, was demolished on Saturday.

No one was hurt in the blaze, called in at 4:50 p.m. Haggerty said.

A bull terrier was rescued from the building, and all of the animals were removed safely from the nearby Humane Society a few doors down.

"It's an old building with several ceilings," the chief said. "It spread instantly. We had no chance."

A brick wall kept the flames from spreading to a dry cleaners next door. READ MORE....

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Lyndhurst Daily Voice!

Serves Lyndhurst, North Arlington & Wallington

This is a one time message inviting you to keep in touch

Get important news about your town as it happens.