YOU READ IT HERE FIRST: A special needs youth accidentally dropped a lighted match onto a pillow, igniting a fire that destroyed the bedroom of a Lyndhurst house after the child, two other family members and two dogs were evacuated by police, authorities said.
The call came in 733 Fifth Avenue at 2:40 p.m. yeseterday, Lyndhurst John J. Valente told C LIFFVIEW PILOT .
Police found smoke pouring out a second-floor window, ran inside and got the family and pets out, he said.
The Lyndhurst Fire Department contained the blaze to the bedroom where it began, Valente said. No injuries were reported.
The Red Cross was made temporary housing arrangements for the family, while the Bergen County Animal Shelter put up the two family dogs for now.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.