ANOTHER CVP SCOOP: A Lyndhurst tenant who used a propane barbecue grill on his second-floor balcony was rescued by a borough firefighter who happened to be nearby when it ignited this afternoon, authorities said.
The Avalon Bay tenant refused immediate medical treatment after being burned on his arms and legs, said Fire Chief Paul Haggerty Jr, who had some harsh words for him.
The high risk of explosion is one of the primary reasons fire officials insist that people do not use propane grills on balconies.
ANY type of open-flame grill should be used on asphalt or concrete and should be at least 10 feet from the nearest structure — for what Haggerty said should be obvious reasons.
“Under the State Uniform Fire Code, propane grills are not permitted on balconies, such as in this case, despite the fact that they are equipped with sprinklers,” the chief told CLIFFVIEW PILOT . “The matter is being investigated by the Lyndhurst Fire Official’s Office and is being forwarded to Avalon Bay Management to determine if in fact it is also a violation of their rental policies.
“We’ve all seen, unfortunately, what kind of destruction fire can do to lightweight-constructed buildings,” he added. “Gas grills are located on the courtyard grounds of Avalon Bay for this very reason.
“You would think that residents living in these types of communities would understand the danger. What some may consider a simple accident is simply unacceptable under the circumstances.”
PHOTO: Courtesy LYNDHURST FIRE DEPT
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.