WALLINGTON, N.J. -- A pilot light that went out in a basement stove at Wallington's Jefferson (Annex) Elementary School delayed the morning opening by 20 minutes and brought firefighters and PSE&G.
Custodians reported smelling gas and called the Wallington Fire Department, who then notified the utility, around 8 a.m., Schools Supt. James Albro told Daily Voice.
Contrary to another media report, Albro said the school wasn't evacuated and there wasn't a gas leak.
"The situation was corrected before school began," Albro said. "Students had not even been dropped off at school yet."
"Students were in class at about five minutes to 9 a.m.," he said.
One hallway was aired out and PSE&G did an air quality test before the school -- owned by the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus Church -- was reopened.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.